Parent Support Services Society of BC


How to find an advocate

You may benefit from an advocate’s help. Legal advocates have knowledge and experience in areas such as child protection, poverty law and family law. They can give you information about your rights, help you keep information organized, and work with you to create an action plan.

Advocates may help you find and talk with a lawyer. They may also accompany you to meetings with social workers or other government representatives. Advocates usually work out of community agencies.

PSS has advocates for kinship caregivers on our Grandparents Raising Grandchildren   Support Line Toll Free 1-855-474-9777 Email

To find an advocate visit: PovNet at, or email to:

For more information on advocacy visit Family Law website of the Legal Services Society of BC.

Also, call The Representative for Children and Youth at 250.356.6710 locally or toll-free 1.800.476.3933 province-wide.

Community-based Victims Assistance Programs

There are 62 Community-Based Victim Assistance Programs in BC funded by the Ministry of Public Safety and Solicitor General. These community-based programs, established in the late 1980s, provide crucial emotional support, information, referrals, justice system support and liaison services for survivors of sexual assault, violence in relationships and violence against children and youth. Programs also work to ensure that a coordinated response is in place in their community. Some specialized programs provide support to survivors of violence who have specific needs, such as adult male survivors and survivors from Aboriginal and multicultural communities. The list of Community-based Victims Assistance Programs is on the Ending Violence Association in BC.

Advocacy for Grandparents Raising Grandchildren

Grandparents raising grandchildren (GRG) face an number of barriers. Financial barriers they face are exacerbated by policy such as inadequate kinship care benefits and the loss of CPP Disability Benefits upon turning 65.

We encourage advocacy in these areas. For more information check out the documents below.

An example of a letter regarding kinship care benefits.

Information sheet on CPP Disability.

Our Kinship Care Petition

Dear Premier Clark:

British Columbia must take leadership in recognizing the value of grandparents who are raising their grandchildren full time and other kinship care providers. You can do this by providing these families with a monthly benefit equivalent to that provided to foster parents.

Grandparents Raising Grandchildren, and all Kinship Care providers, also deserve access to respite, child care, and the same training received by foster parents. 

We the undersigned urge you to commit to funding that ensures no child in care will grow up in poverty.

Downloadable PDF of Petition